Friday, April 2, 2010

Passage #6--Father-Son Bond

page 86-87

I soon forgot him. I began to think of myself again. My foot was aching, I shivered with every step. Just a few more meters and it will be over. I'll fall. A small red flame...A shot...Death envelope me, it suffocated me. It stuck to me like glue. I felt I could touch it. The idea of dying, of ceasing to be, began to fascinate me. To no longer exist. To no longer feel the excruciating pain of my foot. To no longer feel anything, neither fatigue nor cold, nothing. To break rank, to let myself slide to the side of the road...
My father's presence was the only thing that stopped me. He was running next to me, out of breath, out of strength, desperate. I had no right to let myself die. What would he do without me? I was his sole support.

page 91

"Oh God, Master of the Universe, give me the strength never to do what Rabbi Eliahu's son has done."

This passage shows a bond between him and his father. Elie wants to die, but he keeps on living for his father- not wanting to leave his father alone. There were sons that mistreated and abandoned their fathers, but Elie doesn't want that to happen to him. Throughout the story, he mentions how he doesn't want to be separated from his father. For example, Elie decides not to rest his wounded foot and instead goes with his father in the evacuation to someplace else.

--Janet :]

2 comments:

  1. This was a good passage Janet! I have recognized the importance Elie's father had on Elie. I'm glad that he did because then, he probably wouldn't be here today to tell his story.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think that's an important quality trait that Elie posses. His love overruled the fact that he COULD die at any given moment. Each time they thought they would be separated, Elie found some way to make sure that they stayed together. His selflessness is truly an inspiration.

    ReplyDelete