Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Passage #8: Memory

Page 106, 112

WHEN I WOKE UP, it was daylight. That is when I remembered that I had a father.
..............
I remained more than an hour leaning over him, looking at him, etching his bloody, broken face into my mind...I did not weep, and it pained me that I could not weep. But I was out of tears. And deep inside me, if I could have searched the recesses of my feeble conscience, I might have found something like: Free at last!

Elie is suffering from exhaustion and as a result, he forgets about his father, until he wakes up in the morning. Elie's father dies and Elie feels relief that he finally doesn't have to look after anybody, but himself. But Elie will always have a memory of his father with him- "...etching his bloody, broken face into my mind..."

--Janet :]

1 comment:

  1. This passage was soo deep! You can see the change Elie went through when his father was alive and when he passed. It's so bazaar!

    ReplyDelete