Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Passage #2--Personification

On page 34

"Never shall I forget those flames that consumed my faith forever.
Never shall I forget the nocturnal silence that deprived me for all eternity of the desire to live."

This passage that I picked shows personification. On Elie's first night in the camp, he never forgot how he lost his faith and his desire to live. The quote "Never shall I forget those flames that consumed my faith forever," displays personification because fire isn't really alive, so it can't consume anything. I think the word 'fire' is related to the crematoria and that he lost his faith because he saw bodies being burned by the flames. The second quote also shows personification because silence isn't a living thing, but it is given a human trait-to deprive.

--Janet

2 comments:

  1. Thank Janet for this! I never thought that this book would use such literary devices. Ahahaha!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really didn't see the flames as being personified, but now that you're analyzing them, it's an interesting perspective. Thanks for the insight!

    ReplyDelete