Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Summarizer Chapter 1

This book takes place in 1941 in a town called Sighet (which is in the boundary of Hungary). The book is taken in Elie's point of view (he is the narrator). In this time, he is always eager to learn more about Jewish learning and religion. His family consist of his father (a shopkeeper and a respected Jewish lader). his mother, 3 sisters (Hilda, Bea, and Tzipora). One day, Moishe the Beadle was removed from the town because the police commanded to remove any foreigner. Then when he came back, Moishe the Beadle started to tell the Jews that the Germans will soon come with torture, but many Jews failed to believe him.

The War started in Hungary. Every Jews thought that Hungary will win and they will be one of the few that doesn't have to go under German control. "In less than three days, German Army vehicles made their appearance on our street."

The eight days of Passover came. They celebrated as they would for any other Passover. On the seventh day, the curtain finally rose. Germans arrested all the Jewish leaders. There was a edict, that Jews were not allowed to leave there houses for three days and if they did, they were to be killed. Then the Hungarian police came in, took every gold, jewelry, or any valuables and said that Jewish weren't allowed to have any of them. Three days after that, they were told to wear a yellow star. After that... the ghettos.

There were two ghettos in Sighet. The Jews were to live there, they were separated by the others. The ghettos were wired around and was trapped like animals. One day, Elie's father was telling him stories, and he is called up. So he goes, and when he returns he tells them that they will be transported. By dawn four days afterwards, they were all up to be transported. They got into cattle cars and they were ready to leave to a place they knew they will face some day.
Heehee, I know, it's weird. I didn't know I could write like this. I must like this book a lot. As sorry to you guys, but I sort of read more than what I was suppose to. I'm really sorry. But now I will have to suffer and wait til next week to read. Wait for the next summary, it will be twice as better as this one!! :D
-The Precious Opal

4 comments:

  1. Thanks Opal for this summary! You were really detailed and to the point, explaining what the first chapter is about. It really refreshed my memory of the first chapter. (:

    ReplyDelete
  2. no problem my gooda friend...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the summary. And I'm sorry too, for you know, my mistake. And I agree with Mish, it really refreshed my memory. Also I like how you use quotes from the book in your summary.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the chapter summary, Opal! As Michelle said, it refreshed my memory. The part when the Hungarian police came and took their goods really upset me. :[

    ReplyDelete