Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Word Watcher Chapter 1

Hey you guys! This is the first post from the word watcher. YAY! (: These are some of the words I don't understand while I was reading but, if you don't understand some words that I didn't mention, please post a comment below and I'll define it for you! Remember to include the page number so, I can look for it. (:

1. penury (page 3): noun. extreme poverty; destitution.
"He was poor and lived in utter penury."

2. rendering (page 3): noun. an act or instance of interpretation, rendition, or depiction, as of a dramatic part or a musical composition
"He had mastered the art of rendering himself in significant invisible."

3. synagogue (page 3): noun. a Jewish house of worship, often having facilities for religious instruction.
"By day I studied Talmud and by night I would run to the synagogue to weep over the destruction of the temple."

4. beadle (page 3): noun. a parish officer having various subordinate duties, as keeping order during services, waiting on the rector, etc.
"Moishe the Beadle was the exception."

5. kabbalah (page 4): noun. an esoteric or occult matter resembling the Kabbalah that is traditionally secret (still don't really get this, can someone help me out?)
"One day I asked my father to find me a master who could guide me in my studies of kabbalah."

6. zohar (page 5): noun. a medieval mystical work, consisting chiefly of interpretations of and commentaries on the Pentateuch: the definitive work of Jewish cabala.
"One evening, I told him how unhappy I was nt to be able to find in Sighet a master to teach me the Zohar, the Kabbalistic works, the secrets of the Jewish mysticism."

7. err (page 5): verb. to go astray in thought or belief; be mistaken; be incorrect.
"He must not err and wish to enter the orchard through a gate other than his own."

8. insinuated (page 7): verb. to suggest or hint slyly
"Some even insinuated that he only wanted their pity, that he was imagining things."

9. annihilate (page 8): verb. to reduce to utter ruin or nonexistence; destroy utterly
"Annihilate an entire people?"

10. emblem (page 9): noun. an object or its representation, symbolizing a quality, state, class of persons, etc.; symbol
"German soldiers--with their steel helmets and their death's-head emblem."

11. billet (page 9): noun. lodging for a soldier, student, etc., as in a private home or nonmilitary public building.
"The officers were billeted in private homes, even in Jewish homes."

12. jubilant (page 10): adjective. showing great joy, satisfaction, or triumph; rejoicing; exultant
"The optimists were jubilant: "Well? What did we tell you? You wouldn't believe us. There they are, your Germans. What do you say now? Where is their famous cruelty?"

13. surreptitiously (page 16): adjective. obtained, done, made, etc., by stealth; secret or unauthorized; clandestine
"Some of the Jewish police surreptitiously went to fill a few jugs."

14. conflagration (page 21): noun. a destructive fire, usually an extensive one.
"Were this conflagration to be extinguished one day, nothing would be left in the sky but extinct stars and unseeing eyes."

-Michelle Xia(:

5 comments:

  1. Thanks for the words. Many of them were the ones I didn't know but you missed some that I didn't know so I was wondering if you can post these up also.

    -shtibl on page 3
    -waiflike on page 3
    -indulgently on page 5

    THANKS

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the definitions. It really helped. I think Moishe the Beadle is one word, like that is his name. Like Opal, I also didn't know what waiflike is.

    --Janet

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the words. It really helped. I think Moishe the Beadle is one word, like that is his name. Like Opal, I didn't know what waiflike is.

    --Janet

    ReplyDelete
  4. No problem! What I'm going to do with all your words is that at the end of the lit circle, I'm going to gather all the words you guys don't understand and make a post for that. So, I appreciate if you continue suggesting more words. (It's only optional) (:

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for posting all of the words, Michelle!
    I think that some of these words are going to appear more in the book, and it's beneficial to our learning. It might even help for the SAT's!

    ReplyDelete